Monday, October 10, 2016

Stop, You're Killing Me!



Q: "Can you name a writer or a work that made you Laugh Out Loud? (no inner chuckles)"

-from Susan

Pretty much anything by Dave Barry.
Pretty much anything by David Sedaris.
Bits of Mark Twain.
Some snappy lines in Nora Ephron’s Heartbreak and also in some of her essay collections.

Within the mystery genre, Rhys Bowen’s Royal Spyness books have some laugh out loud situations, as do Cindy Sample’s Dying for a … series. Years ago, I remember laughing out loud at some of the nuttier situations in Donald Westlake’s Dortmunder caper books. John Mortimer’s Rumpole of the Bailey stories, at least at first. After the twenty-seventh, even “she who must be obeyed” got a little shop worn. And, to my own surprise, I guffawed at a couple of comically awful moments in Johnny Shaw’s Plaster City. Surprise because there’s so much violence in the very scenes I was laughing at – how could that be? Maybe because Johnny Shaw’s just a great storyteller, as all these writers are.

There are probably others, but these snap to mind. Can’t wait to hear what my fellow Minds have to recommend.



7 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

A good list, Susan. Since I'm not on this week, I'll add my laugh out loud book. The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat. I laughed so hard the tears streamed down my cheeks.

Unknown said...

Have to look up David Sedaris - recommended by another friend. And The Dog Who Wouldn't Be as well - thanks RJ

Cindy Sample said...

Thanks for the shout out, Susan. I'm honored to be mentioned in such august company. I completely agree with your list, especially David Sedaris. His humor is stellar.

Jim Collins said...

Most recently, Dusty Rhoades's caper *Ice Chest* had me laughing a few times. I also remember many years ago, when I first read *The Eyre Affair*, and I realized halfway through the book what he was doing, I sat and laughed so long that my wife came upstairs to make sure I was OK. I also chuckle repeatedly when I read Donna Andrews. I'll have to look for the ones others have mentioned--thanks!

Susan C Shea said...

Robin, I have never read Farley Mowat. Somehow missed that in my youth. But if you laughed THAT hard, I'd better search it out.

Susan C Shea said...

Cindy, Have you ever heard him speak? He's even funnier in person. My all time fave is him trying to speak French.

Susan C Shea said...

Jim, The "Eyre Affair," huh? Is that also by Rhodes? I will have to search. These days I need all the laughs I can get!!!