Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Getting down and dirty...by Cathy Ace



Writing isn’t all that we do, is it? What’s your second favorite activity?

EASY-PEASY! Gardening. The investment of thousands of hours of back-breaking work. The constant search for plants that I will tend, and love. The planning, visualizing and dreaming.

Before
After

The digging, planting and pruning. The glory of the morning and evening light through leaves and petals. The delight of a tree looking just as you hoped it would fifteen years earlier. 

The starting point


Just planted

After

The scent of freshly cut grass, a dew-drop on a rose petal, a spider’s web arching from one blossom to another.  And this……all these lovely sights, smells...and even sounds. 

I LOVE my garden! 

Cathy Ace is the Bony Blithe Award-winning author of The Cait Morgan Mysteries and The WISE Enquiries Agency Mysteries (#4, The Case of the Unsuitable Suitor will be released in hardcover in the UK in September 2017 and in the USA & Canada on January 1st 2018).  You can find out more about Cathy, her work and her characters at her website, where you can also sign up for her newsletter with news, updates and special offers: http://cathyace.com/

4 comments:

RJ Harlick said...

Fabulous garden and you are in the perfect location for one, B.C. where the winters are relatively warm and you get lots of rain.

Susan C Shea said...

You make me glad I didn't post a picture of my wildly overgrown garden! I blame it on the enforced rest from surgery this summer, but next year I'll have no excuse. Interesting that a few of us invest time in planting, weeding, pruning, etc. I think it has two benefits. It keeps me in the present, sort of zen. And my mind can become free to float ideas for my books past me without the stress of having to 'do' something with them until they ripen, bloom, or fade away like the plants. Lovely photos, by the way. I'm envious.

Cathy Ace said...

Thanks Robin - ah yes...our mild winters and wet summers - sadly not the case this past year or two. Last winter we had about 6 feet of snow, and it froze, for weeks - we lost a lot of plants and trees because of that. This summer? Trace rain only in past four weeks - we "should have had" 40mm! Am off to water rhodos that are parched right now...and, yes, the well has run dry, thanks...so the water tanker is now our friend! Ah well, nothing is normal any more, right?

Cathy Ace said...

You're right, Susan - zen is a real thing. I'm about to spend an hour or two spot-watering plants that are suffering due to a lack of rainfall. It's totally zen, and absolutely all-encompassing. Glad you like the photos :-)Thanks